Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My Entrepreneurial Dream

I have a dream of going into business and set it up in Maasin City, my hometown in the Philippines, to sustain myself when the day comes for my complete retirement. I had so many ideas about it like venturing into a restaurant business, set-up a Beach Resort in Limasawa Island, an island right next to my home province of Southern Leyte, Philippines. I was also visioning to have a dance club or even just a bar with a few billiard tables and a bowling alley. Having a bowling alley is first in the Maasin area (as of this writing). But the problem now is how to put-up enough funds to start up whatever business I would venture into.

A close friend of mine from Cebu suggested that we could combine our resources and set-up a restaurant business in Cebu City. I don't have anything against this friend as I'm pretty sure that he is very honest in handling business affairs. Unfortunately I had a bad experience with business before in which I hate to mention it here. Because of this, I developed a phobia or fear of having a business of my own. Currently my friend is scouting for a good venue and we already had agreed for a name of the restaurant. I really have second thoughts about this because I believed that a restaurant business is a hands-on type of business. Meaning, one should be able to handle and manage the business personally at least for the first year or until everything is stable enough, then you can hire somebody trusted to handle the day-to-day affairs if necessary. At this point I still don't have the luxury to spend most of my time in the Philippines as I also have my main job here in the United States. Whatever I would decide, that remains to be seen until I get all the details from my friend who is now handling the research and study for the business to be profitable.

By the way, is there someone out there who knows the current name for "fear of business"??? Please advise as I don't have any idea at all.

No comments: