Thursday, March 28, 2013

DIY Lens Filter


Project365 Frame 087

One of the last learnings I got from my online photography lessons is the use of lens filters. Unlike its big brothers with sophisticated & expensive filters, the phone camera or the iPhone camera in particular just rely on the various filter effects from its apps or applications. But if you use your resourcefulness and creativity you can find a lot of tools that you can use in order to improve your photos. Sunglasses is a good start to use as a Do-it-Yourself filter. It eliminates glare from the sun and it acts as a polarizer. Just put the sunglasses over the lens of the phone camera and viola you have an instant and inexpensive lens filter. You can use anything that can add some artistic effects into your photos. You can use colored cellophane, even see-through clothing like lace, stokings or anything that can capture your fancy.

The picture for today was already submitted as a project to my online classes through Instagram but I still wanted to post it here in my blog. I used a piece of glass panel, sprayed a little cooking oil on it and then wet the whole thing with water. Because of the thin layer of oil, I was hoping that it could hold some water droplets that can be visible in the picture but I guess it only added some haze on the image. Nevertheless the haze was good enough to blurr the background images and focus only on the main subject.

No comments: