Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Starting Point

I'm embarking a trip today to the Philippines to be with my family. This is the first step in realizing my decision to do something for my brother. Making this decision was quite easy for me because I love him so much. Being his only sibling, I am his last hope to improve his quality of life. He badly needs a kidney transplant but he initially did not want me to donate one of mine. He was thinking that I am his last hope to take care of his family if something bad might happen to him. I thought that this is his own family, his wife and son, and therefore it is only right that he will take care of them himself. This is the reason why I made this most important decision in my life. It did not take me a long time to think and came up with this. Aside from being huge, it is also life changing. Upon arrival in the Philippines, we will start a series of tests to establish that we are a match. I'm quite positive about the results and I just hope and pray that we are indeed a good match and I'm healthy enough to donate. I have done some research about organ donation but I still have lots of things to ask with our doctor about my expectations after the procedure. Again, I'm positive about my brother having a second lease in life.

I will post more on my experience as a living donor, so visit this blog again soon.

3 comments:

Mac Callister said...

OMG!are u sure about this?well its ur brother and i can understand ur situation.

hope everything turns out to be ok.

Chronicler said...

Mac,thanks for the concern my friend.

soulspace said...

Wow, Joel, I can't believe when Debra emailed me about your decision to donate your kidney to your brother. My hats off to you.