Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cutting Short My Stay in the Philippines

After all the unfavorable results for my desire to help my brother, I decided to cut short my stay in the Philippines. Initially I have asked permission from my work for about 2 months leave but since I could no longer donate one of my kidneys to my brother, I will be returning back to Las Vegas in less than 2 weeks from this writing. Right now I'm here in Cebu to change the schedule of my return flight to April 11th. I'll also be calling my boss informing them of the sudden changes in schedules so that they could accommodate me to be able to start back to work on April 14th. I'll be going back to live my life as normal as possible although I am much aware of the state of my health. At least I know that I have to do more effort in trying to live a healthy lifestyle like eating and drinking the right stuff as not to overwork my one and only kidney. This way I could ensure that I could outlive my remaining kidney.

As for my brother, there are some positive things going on with him. We have a couple of cousins willing to help him and brought them here in Cebu for the required screening tests. One of them is so far cleared to proceed with the final tests and cross matching, while the other one had some findings of kidney stones as well as some issues of her heart. My brother's surgeon also found a possible donor that generally matches him. Right now we are focusing on this cousin as the surgeon preferred him over the other donor that he found. Its just a matter of time that my brother will be free from the grasps of the dialysis machines holding his life down.

4 comments:

Mac Callister said...

why cut it short?enjoy ur stay there its the holy week...

i wish ur brother well....

soulspace said...

Joel, Wow! I guess it was not meant to be but luckily you discovered about your own kidneys just in time. But you had to go ALL the way to the Philippines to find out about this. I don't know, but must be God wants to show you and tell you something. As my mother used to say: Whatever the outcome, it's the best outcome. I guess there is some truth in that. I found out about your case from Debra's email and now on Twitter. Good luck, Joel.

soulspace said...

Hi Joel, It's really a blessing in disguise. Will pray for your brother.
Good luck!

Chronicler said...

@Mac_Callister - Wala na akong natirang bakasyon at hindi rin macharge sa sick leave.

@soulspace - Thanks Michelle....