Monday, September 28, 2009

Furious And Helpless



When my workweek was slowing down, I was excited and looking forward for the next three days that I will be off from work. During this time I already heard initial reports about typhoon Ondoy hitting my country, The Philippines. Everything settled in when my best friend in the Philippines sent a text message to me from a borrowed cellphone, apologizing that he could not go online and chat with me (as we normally do) because of some major emergency. I immediately suspected that this emergency was related to the typhoon. His next message caught me off guard and shocked me. His family was affected by the flash floods brought about by the typhoon and that they were not able to save anything from their home. That was his last message to me and up to this writing I still don't have any idea how to get in touch with him. Our common friend already sent a message through my Facebook account confirming what my friend just told me in his text messages. Early that evening, I went to watch a movie, ate in a fast food chain, went to a piano bar and ended up in a McDonald's branch where a friend was working. At this point, I received the alarming news and after my midnight snacks, I immediately went home to check online about the devastation left by typhoon Ondoy. Pictures and news updates blew my mind away. I felt furious and at the same time helpless. Furious, because of what happened. Furious, because of the fact that when nature unleash her wrath, nobody can stop and prevent its aftermath. Helplessness immediately overcame me because I had no idea how to reach for my friend. I wanted to know how his family is coping with this unfortunate tragedy. I sent some text messages to him and to his wife's cellphone but I did not get any reply. I just hope and pray that they are alright.

For those who want to help with the relief efforts currently undergoing for the victims of typhoon Ondoy, you can start here: http://www.google.com/landing/typhoon-ondoy.html

No comments: