Monday, July 4, 2011

Drenched on 4th of July Weekend






Last July 3rd was our opportunity to attend American Independence Day activities at Lake Las Vegas Resort at the city of Henderson, Nevada. It was a Sunday and me and my dad were off from work. Although I was lacking of sleep since I worked the previous evening, I decided to go to the venue early so that we could secure a spot for parking and a good spot to view the performances on Las Vegas' only floating stage. This would also be my big opportunity to take pictures during the fireworks display which they said would start about 9:00PM. Its a picnic day for the family and the admission was free to the public. We packed some snack items and a lot of drinks in a portable ice chest. We braved the heat at around 4:00PM and we got a good spot to spread our blanket where we can sit and view the activities. Unfortunately huge rain clouds formed overhead and I got a text message from my friend that it was already raining in the city of Las Vegas. Later on an announcement came out that it was already raining hard in Henderson. The people booed, stood up and start dancing to ignore the possibility of rain. We were anticipating a concert by the Henderson Philharmonic Orchestra and then followed by the fireworks display later that evening. At around 7:00PM, big rain drops start falling on us, the DJ blasted on the volume of the music and people started dancing under the rain. I think Mother Nature didn't like the defiance so she poured more rain on us. At first people just used their blankets to cover themselves from the rain but lightning came in succession that most of the people including us were running to take refuge. We were all drenched by the rain but we still managed to have fun. I think the rain was welcomed by the people because it was a brief break from the summer heat, we are talking triple digits in temperatures here. Small kids were just playing and running around in the rain. Around 8:00PM, the rain was still pouring hard on us that we decided to give up and just go home. There went my photo shoot opportunity.