Monday, June 20, 2011

I'm Not Perfect


The first person that I looked up to as a hero in my life is my own father. He is always there for me and my younger brother. The first time I ever stepped into school, that was in my kindergarten, up to my high school days, he was always there supporting us. Every morning he was always the one to bring us to school and by the end of the day he was always the one to pick us up for home. I always relied on him on my school projects and as my private tutor. When I reached high school, he refrained himself from being too visible with me but still he was a huge influence. College was something new for me since I went to school away from my hometown. Thanks to my father, he was there to guide me through in order for me to survive the first few days in a new place. When I was done with college, it was time for me to find a job. While waiting for the results of my board exams, he offered me a temporary job in the same office where he worked. After the positive results of the board exams, I moved back to Cebu City and started applying for a job. Staying in a city away from my hometown and family taught me the value of independence but even then, my dad was always there when problems came up. Eventually both my parents moved to America in the hopes of bringing me and my brother there. Unfortunately I was the only one who was able to join them since my brother chose not to move to the USA but got married and started a family instead. When I first came to America, it was my father who guided me with all the things to start up a new life in a foreign land. He drove me on my first job interview. He was with me when I first got my driver's license. It was kind of new to me since I've been living on my own for the past 17 or so years while working in Cebu and when I joined them here, it seemed I went back to my elementary or high school days. I have no complaints though since I already realized that no matter how old you are, and no matter what's your status in life is, your parents are always there for you. They are just a call away, in my case, they are just there next to me to reach out.
After all these things that my father and my mother had done, I was wondering if I have accomplished what they had hoped for. Are they proud of me of what I have become? I'm no public figure, not a rich guy, not married and with no kid of my own. Well, I think I knew one thing that they were disappointed about me. They had hoped that I'd get married and have a family of my own. Well aside from that, I would wish there are no more things about me that disappointed them. I know I'm not a perfect son but how I wish that they are still proud of me, I've been trying to become one. One thing for sure, I'm so indebted to them that even my own life could not cover as payment for all that they have done for me. I'm just so thankful to God that He let me born out of my loving parents. I remember that in one of my birthdays in the past years, they gave me a birthday card that said something about being proud of their perfect son and they cant ask for more. I believed them so.
Happy Father's Day again, Papa Romeo.

No comments: