Sunday, October 31, 2010

Celebrating Halloween 2010



Since I moved here in the US, I can only remember a couple of times that I celebrated Halloween, specifically attending a Halloween party complete with appropriate garb for the occasion. I was usually working preventing me to attend this kind of festivities. Last year I was with my friends at Fremont Street just watching people in different Halloween costumes. I even shoot some video footage and uploaded them to YouTube.

This year, I purposely requested an extra day off to be able to attend a Halloween party hosted by a friend of a friend. In other words, I was one of the invited by the invitee. I was with my close friends Emmy, her husband Teody, their 2 kids, Leslie & my good friend Rafa. This was something new for me since this was the first time that I went to a party where I did not know or even haven't met most of the people there, not even the host of the party. We were one of the first to arrive and I was already impressed by the place. It was obvious that the host really spent some time, money and effort to decorate the whole place. All the lights in the house were replaced with "black" lights; there were some little strobe lights as well. There were some scary and ghoulish creatures either hanging or standing in every corner. I was especially impressed by how the bathroom was decorated. With a bloody knife wielding creature hanging just over the toilet bowl, you can feel that somebody overhead is about to cut you to pieces. Coupled with a red light and some plastic finger cuttings and a bloody knife on the wash sink completed the effect of a hell hole. There was also a DJ wearing a mouse mask playing some cool dance music that kept the party alive. Each of the visitors, including us, brought a bottle of wine and the result is a never ending flow of booze for the whole night. It was a typical American party so there was no sitting, and only some finger foods but more of the booze. Fortunately we ate enough dinner before coming over to the party. Everyone had a nice time. People were polite enough to come up to you and introduce themselves. It was a good opportunity to make some new friends. In this kind of party, people expect that you mingle and interact with them. The best thing about the party, almost all actually dressed up for the occasion. Even Manny Pacquiao (look-alike) was there. My friend Emmy was an angel (a naughty one), Teody and their two boys were devils, Leslie was a geisha, my friend Rafa came as he is (hahahaha) and I got myself a hoodie with skeleton prints. There were also people dressed as a pussycat, an Arabian belly dancer, a cop (in shorts), some skeleton monsters, a zombie, muscleman, and a lot more. By the way I will see more of these creatures on Halloween eve itself as I cruise along Fremont Street. I am planning to come up with a video again just like last year.

Overall, we had a blast! I wish I could host a costume party like this when I go back to the Philippines so that my relatives there could experience the same fun I had.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Intriguing article. I realize I’m just a little late in posting my comment nevertheless the article ended up being to the purpose and merely the data I used to be trying to find. I can’t say that I accept everything you could mentioned nevertheless it was emphatically fascinating! BTW…I found your internet site by having a Google search. I’m a frequent visitor to your blog all of which will return again soon. Tramadol.