Saturday, August 1, 2009

Where Were You During the People Power Revolution?

As the news came to me on the passing of our Former President Corazon Aquino, the first thing that came to my mind was the 1986 People Power Revolution which led to the ousting of then dictator President Ferdinand Marcos and made Tita Cory the first ever woman president of the Philippines. This peaceful revolution, no guns fired and no blood being shed inspired other peace-loving countries of the world. It was no surprise therefore that the former lady president became a worldwide icon for democracy and freedom. I became nostalgic and tried to remember exactly where I was and what I was doing on February 22, 1986.

I was not on the streets participating on the protest rally, but I was confined on my hospital bed instead. Earlier on that week, I went out with my friends for dinner at my favorite Chinese dimsum restaurant. Later that evening I was beginning to feel stomach upset. The following morning I was already suffering from Loose Bowel Movement (LBM). I took some medications but my condition became worse than ever. Three days later, with no improvement, I started to get dehydrated and that was the time that I decided to check in to a hospital. It was a case of minor food poisoning and I was told by my doctor that I should remain confined in the hospital with a series of intravenous fluids for the weekend. The outside world was already in chaos. Listening to the radio, I made myself updated on what was going on. Little did I know that I was witnessing a piece of Philippine history in the making.

The events on that week that led to the ultimate departure and exile of the Marcoses from Malacanang Palace was being watched by millions of people around the world. The international press stood side by side with our local media people to bring the news out worldwide. The peaceful People Power Revolution is the gift of the Filipino people to the world. It was a living proof that an alternative way to protest in a peaceful manner can be achieved. It was a new kind of revolution. In the words of Aquilino Pimentel, "We shall be forever indebted to Cory for rallying the nation behind the campaign to topple dictatorial rule and restore democracy". Cory indeed was well deserved for being named Time Magazine's Woman of the Year and a nominee for Nobel Peace Prize as well as other awards and achievements. Thank you Madam President.

So, how about you my friends: Where were you when the People Power Revolution happened?

6 comments:

EngrMoks said...

7years old ako nung time na yun...madalas kuman ta ng Handog ng Pilipino sa Mundo kasabay ng mtv na madalas ipalabas noon sa tv...

ikogsakanding said...

nice post.... thanks for sharing...






http://www.blogfornoob.com

Goddy: An Unbreakable Spirit said...

Hi Joel!

I was in Olongapo then, very much anxious about what would come next. I was thinking of my loved ones back home (Gapan City, Nueva Ecija). I was feeling very insecure then because the land title of the subdivision residential lot that I purchased (long term) wasn't in my hands yet.

I used to join opposition rallies especially when Cory was there. In fact, I have photos with an officemate and a friend wearing yellow bands around our heads. I just can't locate them now. I couldn't join my countrymen on EDSA during the people power revolution because my desire to be with my family back home was very strong. Besides, may duty ako sa American Base. But just the same, I prayed for our country.

Yodi Insigne said...

I'm only 6 years old that time. But when I got a grasp of what democracy is and fully understand the value of that revolution in our history, I decided joining the EDSA II.. Doing your part is really fulfulling.
How I wish I'm also part of EDSA I.
Nice post sir.

Ron Centeno said...

I will never forget the song, "Magkaisa". Everytime na marinig ko ang kantang yan, I always had goosebumps. Wow! I still remember the words.

Chronicler said...

@Mokong @ikogsakanding @Goddy @Yodz @Ron Centeno - Thank you all guys for sharing what you remembered doing during this historical event.